- The student must be a graduate student in good standing at the California Institute of Technology.
- Please note the student’s status will be verified with the Caltech Graduate Office.
- Students may only participate in one 3MT competition.
- Student finalists must be available to present their 3MT talks in person at the finals competition.
Submission and Final Presentation Rules
- One single static PowerPoint slide is permitted during the final presentation. No slide transitions, animations or "movement" of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented at the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be in spoken word (eg. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- Student attire is expected to be business formal or casual.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.